ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE COORDINATOR
Join Our Team!
Title: Environmental Justice Coordinator
Status: Regular, Part-time, Non-exempt
Reports to: PAALF Executive Director Location: Portland, Oregon
The Portland African American Leadership Forum seeks a new member of its team to lead our Environmental & Climate Justice Program. The program supports policies that advance environmental protections in Oregon that provide economic and social benefit to communities of African descent. Specific near-term program objectives include building capacity in communities of African descent to advance climate solutions; environmental protections; access to the clean energy economy; shifting discourses that centralize the voices of those most impacted by environmental injustice and climate change; and strengthening relationships between environmental organizations and the black community. The successful candidate will be able to support the PAALFs vision of built power in the Black community to act and lead on environmental issues, and the presence of a strong social movement in Oregon for environmental and climate justice.
The mission of the PAALF is to helps our Black community imagine the alternatives we deserve and build our political participation and leadership to achieve those alternatives. For more information, please visit https://www.paalf.org.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Lead PAALF’s Environmental Justice Committee, including overall management of our environmental justice grassroots organizing and base-building efforts; lead issue-based education campaigns and community engagement around the Environmental & Climate Justice Program.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with PAALF members, partners, key interest groups and individuals, including policymakers.
- Coordinate and educate PAALF members regarding environment and climate action issues and policy.
- Coordinate with staff to align our organizing projects and campaigns with our local and statewide policy advocacy plan, the 2017 PAALF People’s Plan and PAALF’s Ecology Strategic Action Plan.
- Maintain PAALF’s environmental digital forum.
- Educates and engages PAALF members through website communications, factsheets, articles in e-newsletter, personal interactions and other communications.
- Prepares and presents public comments and testimony.
- Represents PAALF at public and community events.
- Writes program-related grant proposals; meets with foundation officers and other potential funders; writes progress reports.
- Actively seeks new sources of financial support.
- Two to three years of professional experience performing similar job duties to those listed in this announcement
- Demonstrated ability to apply environmental justice to public policy
- Understanding of, and experience working with, diverse populations, specifically Black, African American and African communities
- Proven ability to bring stakeholders together around shared visions and work strategically to secure policy changes and other program objectives
- A gift for writing and speaking in a clear and compelling fashion
- Strong organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree; relevant advanced degree preferred
Part-time at 25 hours a week at $30 an hour. Paid time off is based on tenure with the organization and includes accruals of sick and vacation hours. We recognize paid holidays per calendar year. We provide an $50.00/month transportation stipend.
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. We will begin reviewing applications in August 2018, but the position will remain open till filled. All applicants will be notified once a hiring decision has been made. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Imagine your job bringing smiles filled with hope and potential to a student’s face – every day! Self Enhancement offers you the opportunity to affect the lives of students, their families and the community on a daily basis through our exciting job opportunities and the professional development we promote.
The Portland African American Leadership Forum (PAALF), a Sponsored Project of Self Enhancement, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.